Monday, June 22, 2009

Trans Youth Summit comes to Boston!

Last Saturday was the second annual Transgender Youth Summit in Boston. The goal of this summit was for youth, 24 and under, from the Massachusetts/New England area that identify as transgender, to meet and connect with other transgender and gender variant youth. About 65 youth come out for the event, which was pretty amazing!

As a facilitator for the Genderqueer and Gender Spectrum Questioning Identity Group, I had the privilege of sitting with 15 or so youth to have a conversation about what it’s like to be living as genderqueer in high school, college, and with families and friends.

I went into the conversation feeling some anxiety because, as someone in their thirties, I didn’t get to have these conversations when I was coming out and figuring out my identity. And I feel like I rarely get to have them now without feeling like I’m falling into the trap of having to place a label on myself. So, I felt inadequately prepared to talk to these young folks about what their experiences might be like.

Needless to say, the group was an eye opener for me. The young people in my group were way ahead and beyond the binary thinking of male/female or boy/girl. As they shared experiences and asked each other for advice, what stood out was the question: “How do you have a conversation with people – without feeling angry, or defensive – when you are not even using the same reference model?” And “how do you explain yourself, when the language that is available does not even begin to touch the reality that you are living?”

This was a good point. It seems to me that as the trans movement continues to grow and expand, and more people are looking at the fact that gender is a product of social construction, that young people growing up today are going to be the ones questioning the models we have used for so long – and the inherent homophobia, sexism, and oppression that go along with them. And I think that TOTALLY ROCKS! I was in awe of the honesty, and intelligence, and bravery I witnessed in that conference and felt inspired to bring that energy into my own life.

So, three cheers for the brave and brilliant genderqueer and trans youth. I’m so lucky I get to be an ally and supporter for such awesomeness!!!

0 Comments: